Thursday, May 10, 2012

Scripting the future of SOTE

Time for a crucial update. At last, all the main features of the new MMF-built engine have been completed and I've created a custom script editor to parse and execute lines of code, based on an original syntax. The editor helps to write events with code coloring, shortcuts to directly insert strings of code and a lot of wordprocessing features. The final code is converted to plain text and interpreted by the game engine to execute actions. I use a MMF List object as script container, which loads the external script file reading it line after line, and every line is tokenizen by the String Parser with the underscore "_" as a delimeter, a character that will never show up in dialogue phrases. So the final syntax is as follows:  
Character_say_ENG_I'm not going to pick up that thing!_ITA_Non ci penso a raccogliere quella roba! 
Character_dir_8 
Character_walk_485_682 
Character_wait_40 
Character_say_ENG_Maybe I can use one of my objects..._ITA_Forse potrei usare uno dei miei oggetti... 
END
This is a screenshot of the custom script editor with some demential random test phrases:
(No. SOTE will be occasionally funny in the best point&click adventure tradition, but not stupid)

Someone said this is becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of the adventures, and maybe that's true. But remember I'm not paid to make it and I'm alone. Nonetheless, the actual scripting may at last start officially. This is SOTE's year zero.


2 comments:

  1. Hi. I didn't come here for a while, but I'm liking what I'm seeing. Perhaps you could one day make this custom script editor and any other things you've created for the MMF tool open-source when you eventually release the game, no?

    ReplyDelete